Nonnewaug High School
Nonnewaug is a comprehensive, public high school which includes a regional agricultural educational center. We are an educational community of students, staff, parents, and involved citizens dedicated to the creation of an environment and a framework for academic, social, emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. Our mission is that all students realize their potential as life-long learners, problem solvers, and productive members of society.
Nonnewaug High School is a regional public high school serving the towns of Woodbury and Bethlehem. It also includes an agri-science and technology magnet program that serves many surrounding towns. Nonnewaug is a unique community of learners including students, faculty, staff, administrators, parents, and the extended community, all of whom share rights and responsibilities regarding this institution. Nonnewaug’s primary purpose is to provide all students with access to a challenging program of studies. This program is designed to create a balance; impact a body of knowledge and provide the skills needed for lifelong learning. While Nonnewaug emphasizes the intellectual growth of students, it also stresses physical, emotional, social, ethical, and aesthetic development. In addition, it seeks to instill in its students an awareness of their civic opportunities and responsibilities in a democratic society. Finally, it promotes in its students the awareness and acceptance of diverse individuals and groups, a key goal for a school that is diverse in its programs and composition. The primary role of teachers is to create the framework within which effective learning can take place. Learning occurs as a result of a cooperative effort among students, teachers, and other members of the educational community. The mission is accomplished by continually evaluating our current practices and assessing our future needs.
- Demonstrate responsibility for their own learning by setting goals, demonstrating effort, and valuing success.
- Demonstrate the ability to access and synthesize information using a variety of sources.
- Speak and write clearly, concisely, and effectively.
- Listen and view actively, critically, and receptively.
- Read, understand, interpret, analyze, synthesize and evaluate a variety of written material.
- Analyze and solve problems using the scientific method.
- Demonstrate competence in generating solutions to authentic life situations through mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of other cultures through knowledge of another language.
- Develop an aesthetic awareness.
- Apply historical knowledge to promote local, national, and global awareness and citizenship.
- Become knowledgeable consumers by applying basic principles of business, economics, and money management.
- Contribute to the welfare and improvement of the local and global communities.
- Make informed career choices.
- Understand the importance of a healthy life-style and strive for physical fitness and optimal good health.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and respect for themselves and others.
- 16. Recognize and respect the diversity of the school population and society at large.
- Work independently and collaboratively toward a common goal.
- Understand, demonstrate, value, and sustain moral and ethical behavior.
- Develop skills, which lead to nonviolent conflict resolution.
- Make well-informed choices to balance academic, extracurricular and personal responsibilities by setting priorities, allocating time, and following schedules.
- Value learning outside the classroom for self-growth and personal enrichment.
Nonnewaug High School is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media